Skip to main content Skip to footer
Select Page

Does Medicare cover cataract surgery?

Does Medicare cover cataract surgery?

Cataracts form when the lenses behind your pupils become cloudy, compromising your vision. By age 80, more than half of all Americans have had a cataract or cataract surgery1. Cataract surgery is a common procedure that replaces the cloudy lens in your eye, aimed at restoring your vision. If you’re in need of cataract surgery, you may be wondering if it’s covered by Medicare.

In short, yes. Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for cataract surgery after deductible, while you’ll be responsible for the remaining 20%. However, Medicare will only cover medically necessary cataract surgery that’s done with traditional methods or lasers—it will not cover elective procedures or surgeries done with more advanced technology. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, cataract surgery should be covered, but it may have different costs or conditions than Medicare Part B coverage. In this article, we’ll walk you through the different cataract-related costs that Medicare will and won’t cover, as well as frequently asked questions about cataract surgery and Medicare coverage. 

Does Medicare cover other cataract-related expenses?

In addition to the surgery itself, Medicare will typically cover other cataract-related expenses like pre- and post-surgery consultations and care. Keep in mind that because Medicare will only cover medically necessary cataract surgery with standard intraocular lenses, you should talk to your doctor before the procedure to understand the details of your treatment. That way, you can make sure you know what is and isn’t covered by your Medicare plan before undergoing the surgery.

FAQs on Cataracts, Cataract Surgery and Medicare Coverage

How much does cataract surgery cost without insurance?

The cost of cataract surgery without insurance varies, but typically falls between $3500-$70001.

What factors affect the cost of cataract surgery?

The cost of cataract surgery depends on many factors, including:

  • The severity of the cataracts
  • The skill level of the surgeon performing the operation
  • The type of facility where the surgery takes place
  • The type of lens implanted

Does Medicare cover the cost of eyeglasses or contact lenses after cataract surgery?

Yes, Medicare will typically cover 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for one pair of prescription glasses or contact lenses after surgery. You’ll be responsible for the remaining 20% and any additional costs, like your deductible. Keep in mind that Medicare will only cover eyeglasses or contact lenses from a supplier enrolled in Medicare. 

Can you treat cataracts without surgery?

There is no proven non-surgical treatment for cataracts. The best way to resolve the condition and restore your eyesight is to get cataract surgery.

Have a question about cataract coverage? Let SelectQuote help you explore your Medicare Advantage options.

If you need cataract surgery, it’s important to know what your Medicare plan will cover. SelectQuote’s experienced licensed insurance agents are here to answer any questions about cataract coverage and your Medicare plan. We search trusted carriers in just minutes, saving you time and finding you the right fit for coverage so you can get the care you need.

  1. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/cataracts 
  2. https://www.visioncenter.org/blog/cataract-surgery-cost/

We do the shopping. You do the saving.

Please enter a zip code. No obligation to enroll