What is the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period (AEP)?
No obligation to enroll
The Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) runs from October 15 to December 7 each year. During this time each fall, millions of Medicare recipients evaluate their current coverage and make changes that will affect their health care costs and coverage beginning in January of the following year. AEP is also sometimes referred to as the Medicare Fall Open Enrollment and the Annual Election Period.
If you’re satisfied with your current Medicare plan, you don’t need to take any action during the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period. However, insurance companies make updates to Medicare plans each year. Therefore, it’s a good idea to re-evaluate your Medicare coverage during AEP to ensure you continue to get the Medicare benefits you deserve.
- Want to see if there are $0 premium plans in your area?
- Is your existing coverage meeting your healthcare needs, including vision, dental and hearing?
- Are your prescription drugs covered?
Why should you review your plans each year during the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period?
Medicare plan details can change annually, so it’s a good idea to compare your Medicare plan options each fall to confirm your health and prescription drug needs are covered by your Medicare plan in the coming year. Some reasons to review your coverage during the Annual Enrollment Period even if you are happy with your plan are:
- You may be missing out on benefits you deserve. Some plans may include benefits like dental, vision, hearing coverage, prescription drug coverage and transportation to appointments.
- Make sure you’re not overpaying. Lower premium plans may be available in your area.
- There may be changes to your existing plan that you need to be aware of, or there may be new or updated plans that better meet your needs and budget.
A SelectQuote Senior licensed sales agent can help you review the Medicare Advantage plans available in your area to find the right plan for your needs! During Medicare’s Annual Enrollment Period, Medicare recipients can:
- Switch from Medicare Parts A and B (Original Medicare) to a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C).
- Change from one Medicare Advantage (Part C) plan to another Medicare Advantage plan.
- Switch from one Prescription Drug plan (Part D) to another.
- Add a Prescription Drug plan (Part D) if you didn’t enroll when first eligible for Medicare.
Any changes you make during the Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan Annual Enrollment Period, which runs from October 15 to December 7, will take effect on January 1 of the following year.
No matter how you feel about your current Medicare plan, it never hurts to do a little shopping around during the Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan Annual Enrollment Period. Since plans and premiums change annually, options that fit your situation even better than your current coverage could become available, so it’s important for you to check out your Medicare options each fall.
Our licensed sales agents at SelectQuote can walk you step by step through the process and help you find an affordable option that’s right for your needs! We will independently shop up to 21 insurance companies so you can compare rates.
Compare Medicare plans for free!
To get started, just complete the form below. Your information is safe with us.
No obligation to enroll
By clicking the "Get Free Quotes" button above and submitting your online quote request to SelectQuote, you are agreeing by your electronic signature to give SelectQuote, Inside Response and Allied Insurance Partners, your prior express written consent and continuing established business relationship permission to call you at each cell and residential phone number you provided in your online quote request, and any other subscriber or user of these phone numbers, using an automatic dialing system and pre-recorded and artificial voice messages any time from and after your inquiry to SelectQuote for purposes of all federal and state telemarketing and Do-Not-Call laws and your prior affirmative written consent to email you at the email address(s) you provided in your online quote request, in each case to market our products and services to you and for all other purposes. Your consent is not required to get a quote or purchase anything from SelectQuote, and you may instead reach us by phone at 1-888-250-3820.