Select Page

Learn more about vision coverage with SelectQuote.

We can help you find the coverage you need to ensure your eyes and vision are protected. There’s no obligation to enroll.

Learn more about vision coverage with SelectQuote.

We can help you find the coverage you need to ensure your eyes and vision are protected. There’s no obligation to enroll.

Medicare Vision Coverage for Medicare Recipients

Does Medicare cover vision needs?

Yes and no. In simple terms, it depends on the service you need. Generally speaking, Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) does not cover routine vision care such as standard annual eye exams, eyeglasses or contacts.

That being said, Medicare Part A does provide vision coverage when the circumstances require inpatient hospitalization and Medicare Part B generally covers doctors’ services, medical supplies and outpatient care. The following are covered by Part B, but not at 100% coverage:

  • Eye Exams for Diabetic Patients – Covers annual exam for diabetic retinopathy
  • Glaucoma Tests – Covers annual exam if you’re deemed high-risk (i.e. you have diabetes, family history of glaucoma, are African-American and age 50+ or Hispanic and 65+)
  • Macular Degeneration Tests and Treatment – covers individuals with age-related macular degeneration and includes certain types of injectable drug treatments
  • Corrective Lenses Following Cataract Surgery – Covers one pair of eyeglasses or one pair of contact lenses if cataract surgery is used to implant intraocular lens.
  • Eye Exams for Diabetic Patients – Covers annual exam for diabetic retinopathy
  • Glaucoma Tests – Covers annual exam if you’re deemed high-risk (i.e. you have diabetes, family history of glaucoma, are African-American and age 50+ or Hispanic and 65+)
  • Macular Degeneration Tests and Treatment – covers individuals with age-related macular degeneration and includes certain types of injectable drug treatments
  • Corrective Lenses Following Cataract Surgery – Covers one pair of eyeglasses or one pair of contact lenses if cataract surgery is used to implant intraocular lens.

Part B will pay 80% of the Medicare-approved amount for doctors’ services, drugs and corrective lenses, leaving you responsible for paying 20% of the costs in addition to the Part B deductible. Treatments that take place in an outpatient setting will also require a copay.

Other Ways to Pay for Medicare Vision Coverage

If you’re Medicare-eligible, there are several options that can cover a portion of the costs of your vision care. The first option is to purchase supplemental vision insurance. The second option is a Medicare Advantage plan, which is an alternative to Original Medicare and may include vision benefits.

Stand-Alone Vision Insurance

For seniors with Medicare Part B and relatively healthy eyes, a supplemental vision plan can help pay for eye exams as well as help offset the cost of prescription glasses, contact lenses and vision correction procedures. At SelectQuote, we can help you figure out if a supplemental vision plan is right for you.

Medicare Advantage Plans

(Medicare Part C) – As an alternative to Original Medicare, you can choose a Medicare Advantage plan, another type of government-approved insurance plan for seniors and other eligible individuals. These plans, which are administered by private insurance companies, often have extra vision benefits not offered with Original Medicare, like vision exams and eyeglasses. In fact, some plans offer $0/month premiums and include these benefits. Please note that not all states offer every plan, so be sure to explore the plans available where you live.

Give Your Eyes the Best Care

Vision impairment is associated with a decreased ability to perform activities of daily living. It has an increased risk for depression, and the possibility that you could suffer from life-altering vision loss in your senior years is high.

By age 65, approximately one in three people has some form of vision-reducing eye disease. The most common causes of vision loss among seniors are age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, cataracts and diabetic retinopathy. Vision care for these conditions can be costly—you owe it to yourself to seek coverage that can help offset these potential expenses.

Let us help you ensure your eyes and vision are protected. There’s no obligation to enroll.

We do the shopping. You do the saving.